Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven

           I thought the main character in this story was weak. He had the potential to do and be so much more, but he gave up. He gave in to society's stereotype of his race. I really hate it when people become a stereotype for no reason. Like just because I am a woman does not mean that I am going to clean up your mess or get in the kitchen and make you a sandwich. The truth is I cannot even cook and I hate to clean. It was pretty obvious that the character in the story did not like the attributes that went along with his stereotype either. I wish he would have tried harder to pursue his dreams and not let the world get him down. I give him props for stepping outside of his comfort zone and trying to do something better with his life. However, since he hardly even put forth an effort, I did not pity him at the end of the story. I picture that fistfight in heaven going from Tonto (the main character) putting up a good fight and looking like he is taking the lead to Tonto waving the white flag and falling to his knees before the Lone Ranger.

3 comments:

  1. If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you can't. Never truer spoken words. Stereotypes degrade and breakdown potential big time.It seems you enjoyed the story for the most part but try not to be so critical, people only can do what they know and use to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main character definitely could have put up a "better fight" when it came to his life and what he wanted, but instead he dropped out of college and moved home with his parents and was single.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. I think the main character could've fought harder and pushed through. But it's all in people mindset I believe. If you have the mindset to push through the difficulties then you will.

    ReplyDelete