Monday, April 8, 2013

We Real Cool

This poem was...different. It was definitely easy to understand. It seemed like something I could have written myself, which gives me a little confidence because if a poem that simple can become famous, then I could also write poetry worthy of fame. I have always considered myself quite bad with poetry. This poem fooled me though. When I was reading it in my head, I was reading it in the form of sentences that would be grammatically correct. I am sure I am not the only one that has fallen for that trick. When we heard the woman that wrote it read it in class one day, she read it completely differently than how I had. After I heard her, I went back and read it again, and realized that how she read it was how it was written. My mind had moved some words around for it to make sense in my head. It gave the poem a new rhythm for me. I think a lot of people could relate to this poem. I hope never to. It is kind of depressing when you really think about what it is saying, and that it sums up many lives.

3 comments:

  1. When I heard Gwendolyn Brooks read it I loved the poem even more than I did when I read it first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really interesting how the poem changed so much after hearing her read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it was different but easily to understand. After hearing it read as Galela stated I as well took a better liking to the poem.

    ReplyDelete