Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Hills Like White Elephants


I had to read this story twice. The first time I read it, I completely missed the point of the story. The whole time I was waiting for something obvious to jump out at me as the main point. When I got to the end I was just kind of like "ohhh, so that's it?" Once I realized what the story was supposed to even be about, I reread it so that it would make more sense to me. I did not fully understand the things it was supposed to be hinting at until after our class discussion on it though. After that, I just had a whole new perspective on the story, so that made me want to read it a third time. I do not know if it was that I was not looking for clues to pick up on because I was not expecting it to be that type of story or if I am just not good at taking a hint. I would like to believe it was the first option. Whatever the case, if anyone would like to fill me in on more subtle clues I missed, please do. I now know about the use of the words ‘man’ and ‘girl’ and their significance, and also about the operation being an abortion.

No comments:

Post a Comment