Monday, March 25, 2013

The Rape of the Lock

I think this poem is a bit ridiculous. It is so crazy that the whole time you are reading it, and trying to understand it, you are also trying to find metaphorical meanings to it because it could not possibly be about something as simple as it actually is. The rape of the lock is a lock of a girl's hair that was cut off. I do not think I would go so far as to call that rape. Nor would I attack someone over it. Do not get me wrong, I like my hair, but it is just hair. It will grow back. Belinda, whose hair was cut, came across as very conceited. She thought so highly of herself, she could not bear the thought of being imperfect. Which is why she freaked out when her hair was cut. The Baron, who cut her hair, was a jerk. You do not just chop someone's hair off for a good time, especially if you know that it will make that person very upset, or in Belinda's case, angry. I guess what I am getting at in this blog is that the poem was very exaggerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment